We have found our home in kew gardens!
81-63 Lefferts blvd, kew gardens ny
Stay tuned for more info!
As of January 1st, 2016, our borough of Queens has been left with ONE bookstore.
Our mission is to change that and with your help we have! On April 23 of 2016, we launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds towards our objective. Thanks to our community, we reached that goal and from that point on we searched tirelessly for a storefront.
On May 11th, we received the keys to our new home. We are so excited to join the Kew Gardens community, and they have been SO supportive from the start along with the rest of Queens. Now we are focusing on renovating and taking the steps necessary to open by August!
Stay tuned for more updates and join our emailing list below in order to stay up to date!
Sign up to our emailing list to learn how you can help us bring a bookstore to Queens. Also, to keep up to date on our progress.
- "Thanks, Amazon! Now indie bookstores are booming." - MarketWatch
- "The Queens Bookshop Initiative Eyes Early 2017 Opening." - Shelf Awareness
- "Bookstore initiative sees early success." - Queens Chronicle
- "Queens Bookshop Initiative Exceeds Fundraising Goal." - NY1
- "Team Behind New Indie Bookstore for Queens Launches Pop-Up Locations." - DNAinfo
- "Episode 131: The Queens Bookshop" - Writer's Bone podcast
- "Queens Bookshop Initiative Nears Kickstarter Goal." - Shelf-Awareness
- "Former Barnes & Noble employees trying to bring bookstores back to Queens." - NBC New York
- "There Is Only One Bookstore In Queens, But You Can Help Change That — Here's How." - Bustle
- "How Queens Became a Bookstore Desert, and How that Can Change." - Brooklyn Mag
- "Why Queens Needs More Bookstore." - LitHub
- "Former Barnes & Noble Employees Hope to Start New Chapter in Queens' Literary World" - NY1
- "How Viable Is Crowdfunding For Book Entrepreneurs?" - Forbes
- "There’s Only One Bookstore in Queens, and Three Women Are Going to Change That." - Observer
- "3 friends seek to bring a bookstore back to Queens." - Fox5NY
- "Plan to Open Independent Bookstore in Queens Needs Your Help" - DNAinfo
- "A Bookshop Grows in Queens." - Huffington Post
- "Kickstarter for the Queens Bookshop Initiative" - Melville House
- "Queens Bookshop Initiative Launches Kickstarter Campaign." - Shelf-Awareness (4/21, 1/12)
- "Trio raising funds to open bookstore." - Queens Chronicle
- "Can Queens support more than one bookstore? A Kickstarter campaign tries to find out." - amNY
- "Queens Still Reads: Bringing A Bookstore Back To The Borough." - Queens Tribune
- "Queens Bookshop Initiative celebrates Indie Bookstore Day." - The Forest Hills Times (4/26, 1/12)
- "Let’s Bring Some Books Back To Queens." - CBSNewYork (1/10)
- "Queens Bookshop Initiative Makes Progress." ABA Bookselling This Week
- "Trio behind Queens Bookshop aims to raise money to open bookstore after last Barnes & Noble closed down." - Queens Courier
- "The Queens Bookshop + Initiative to Promote Literacy in Queens, NY" - QNSMADE
- "The Queens Bookshop Aims to Bring Books Back to Forest Hills." - Writer's Bone (3/24)
- "Former B&N Booksellers Have Hopes for Queens Indie." - Publisher's Weekly (4/26, 4/25)
- "Former Barnes & Noble Employees Plan Their Own Bookstore in Queens." - NY1
- "Booksellers Hope to Raise Funds to Open Another Shop in Queens." - DNAinfo
WHO ARE WE? We are not only avid readers but also booksellers with many years of bookselling/managerial experience. We value the importance of promoting literacy, and as residents of Queens wish to bring back a bookstore!
- Vina Castillo: 4 years of bookselling/managerial experience (Barnes & Noble). BA in Literature and Publishing. You will find on her bookshelf: literary fiction, classics, children's/YA, and four different editions of the Harry Potter series. Proud Queens resident! Serial music festival go-er, and bitten by the travel bug.
- Natalie Noboa: 5 years of bookselling/managerial experience (Books-A-Million, Borders, Barnes & Noble). Lifetime Queens resident. Graduated from Queens College in Secondary English Education with two years at Baruch College for business. You will find on her bookshelf: science fiction, fantasy, an exorbitant amount of YA, memoir, humor, and an accidentally large collection from The Norton Anthology. Loves giraffes and puppies.
- Holly Nikodem: 2 years as bookstore manager, 10 years in retail management with experience in event planning and niche markets. BA in Print Communication. You will find on her bookshelf: House of Leaves, Bone Clocks, and Brave New World. But also ALL the graphic novels, ALL the manga.
WHY ARE WE DOING THIS? Queens deserves and is in dire need of more GENERAL PURPOSE bookstores.
We are facing an opportunity to build this from the ground up and with the sole support of the community… We have received an enormous amount of positive feedback and encouragement even at this early stage, and we hope it will be carried on throughout our mission.
As of January 1st, 2016, Barnes and Noble has closed all of their locations in Queens; Forest Hills, Bayside, Fresh Meadows.
Queens will now have one single GENERAL PURPOSE independent bookstore in the whole borough, located in Astoria. Our mission is to change that!
HOW CAN YOU HELP? Spreading the word is all we ask for. Join our emailing list for updates, follow our Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram.